Dining Sustainability Assistant
The Dining Sustainability Assistant will assist with a range of projects and initiatives in UCLA Residential Dining and Catering to support progress towards sustainable food systems and sustainable food service operations. The assistant will work with the sustainability staff in Housing Administration and with staff in Dining Services.
Duties will include:
• Manage the sustainable food data collection and tracking process: Work with Dining staff to develop improved tracking systems using FoodPro and other existing tools, assist with the sustainable food reporting process, and contribute to UCLA’s annual sustainable food reporting process.
• Coordinate and promote sustainability education and outreach programs to students, staff, faculty and outside guests including but not limited to: Trayless Dining, Green Mondays, and Meet the Vendors Farmers’ Fair. The education and outreach programs are designed to inform and educate over 15,000 student residents and 1,500 staff members on sustainable living, dining, and behavioral change.
• Organize food waste audits at the dining halls including recruiting volunteers, working with the Dining Managers, and collecting raw data.
• Serve as liaison and resource to UCLA campus, students, vendors, outside organizations and UCLA Housing & Hospitality Services staff; providing general information, answering inquiries and promoting sustainability goals.
• Assist with the training of Dining staff on relevant sustainability concepts including sustainable food criteria, waste management and water conservation.
Duties associated with this position will report to the On-Campus Housing Maintenance office in Sproul Hall.
MUST BE A CURRENT UCLA STUDENT. Candidates returning to UCLA during the 2022-2023 academic year preferred. Experience or coursework in food systems, sustainability, environmental impact, accounting, or economics preferred. Strong verbal and written communication skills. Comfortable with cold calling and interfacing with new people. Ability to work independently. Ability to effectively organize and meet established deadlines. Working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications, including proficiency in Microsoft Excel.