Principal Cook, UCLA Plateia Restaurant
Under the direction of the Executive Chef, the Principal Cook is responsible for providing team leadership to one or more Cooks, Assistant Cooks, Senior Food Service Workers, and Food Service Workers in a high volume restaurant operation.
Assign, motivate, and monitor the work of others in the production of multiple food products from a specified menu. Prepare the most complex menu items and recipes according to culinary, production and quality standards. Accurately and appropriately utilize all production equipment and train and monitor others in its safe usage. Ensure gracious customer service and quality food is provided. Adhere to all food handling and sanitation guidelines. Maintain accurate paperwork, including temperature logs and production records. Assist management with recipe and menu development.
Must be available to work varying schedules; including evenings, weekends, holidays and over time in order to reflect the business needs of the department.
In the spirit of its name, Plateia is a central place on the historic UCLA campus to meet colleagues and friends, share inspired food and drink, and engage in conversation. Recharge in the warm wood and stained glass ambiance of our dining room or relax with a glass of fine wine on our expansive patio under heritage olive trees.
Plateia is a gratuity-free restaurant — we pride ourselves in directly investing in our staff by providing a fair wage that is not dependent on tips.
The best way to thank us for our warm, attentive service is to tell your friends and colleagues about your visit. Spreading the word about our commitment to excellence is our best reward!
- Incumbent must have minimum of two years’ experience in a similar position in a hotel restaurant dining operation. (Required)
- Must be able to read, understand and speak English sufficient to determine and carry out job duties. (Required)
- Must be skilled at interacting effectively with guests and team members and managers in a high volume public contact setting using positive body language, direct eye contact, active listening and problem solving techniques. (Required)
- Must be able to interact in a team based environment. (Required)
- Must be able to perform effectively under conditions of fluctuating workload. (Required)
- Must be skilled at adding and subtracting whole numbers, decimals and fractions sufficient to properly adhere to production and customer flow parameters. (Required)
- Must be able to stand, climb, stoop, push and crouch for extended periods of time as required to complete job duties. (Required)
- Must be able to occasionally lift items weighing up to fifty pounds such as bags of supplies, filled stock pots and cases of food products. (Required)
- Must be able to stand continuously throughout an eight hour shift on uncarpeted surfaces. (Required)
- Must be able to measure dry and liquid foodstuffs in units of measurement such as cup, pint, quart, pound and ounce to properly adhere to recipe and production requirements. (Required)
- Must be skilled in operating equipment such as mixers, food processors, food cutters, meat slicers, blenders, impingers, gas range, flat top grill, charbroilers, hot wells and deep fat fryers. (Required)
- Must have knowledge of the rules and procedures of sanitation and safety as they apply to production, storage and service within a food establishment. (Required)
- Must have proven time management and organizational skills to review daily production needs and plan daily work schedule. (Required)
- Must be able to exercise good judgment and provide guests quality customer service. (Required)
- Must possess detailed culinary knowledge of food inventory, recipes, menus and production methods, including a strong understanding of culinary terminology. (Required)
- Must have demonstrated ability to lead the work of others to produce and present food in a high volume restaurant environment. (Required)
- Must have previous experience assigning, monitoring and leading the work of others in a high volume food service operation. (Required)
- Must have previous experience developing, testing and perfecting recipe and menu items. (Required)
- Must have demonstrated ability to train a production team on how to successfully execute recipes and menu items and how to effectively and safely use production equipment. (Required)
- Preference will be given to applicants with a Degree in Culinary Arts. (Preferred)