Under the direction of the Food Services Director and Principal Cook, assist in the direction, production, support and service of multiple food products. Assign, lead, and monitor the work of others to ensure quality products and service is provided to approximately 30,000 guests during the conference season and 4,000 guests during our BRUIN WOODS season. Oversee the design and set-up of cooking/buffet stations at guest events according to conference coordinators requests. Participate in menu and recipe development. Adhere to all food handling and sanitation guidelines. Follow established timelines for food production as required by event start times and overall production schedule. Interact with team members and guests in a high-volume environment.
UCLA Lake Arrowhead Conference Center is located 100 miles east of the UCLA campus in the San Bernardino Mountains (https://binged.it/2JQ66jf).
Must be available to work varying schedules; including evenings, weekends, holidays and over time in order to reflect the business needs of the department.
The target salary range for this position is between the posted minimum and $23.00 hourly.
1. Ability to read, understand, and speak English sufficient to determine and carry out job duties. (Required)
2. Skill in interacting effectively with guests, supervisor, management and team members in a high volume public contact setting using positive body language, direct eye contact, active listening, problem solving techniques. (Required)
3. Ability to interact in a team based environment. (Required)
4. Ability to perform effectively under conditions of fluctuating workload and work schedule. (Required)
5. Skill in adding and subtracting whole numbers, decimals and fractions sufficient to properly adhere to production schedule. (Required)
6. Ability to stand, climb, stoop, push and crouch for extended periods of time as required to complete job duties. (Required)
7. Ability to occasionally lift items weighing up to 50 pounds such as bags of supplies, filled stockpots, cases of food products. (Required)
8. Ability to stand continuously throughout an eight-hour shift on uncarpeted surfaces. (Required)
9. Ability to measure dry and liquid foodstuffs in units of measurement such as cup, pint, quart, pound, and ounces to properly adhere to recipe and production requirements. (Required)
10. Skill in operating equipment such as mixers, food processors, food cutters, meat slicers, blenders, impingers, gas range, flat top grill, char broiler, hot wells, deep fat fryers, radio communication devices, hydraulic lifts, flight-type dish washing machines, computers, basic office equipment, etc. (Required)
11. Knowledge of the rules and procedures of sanitation and safety as they apply to production, storage and service within a food establishment. (Required)
12. Ability to perform effectively under conditions of fluctuating work load. (Required)
13. Ability to produce and present food in a high velocity environment. (Required)
14. Time management and organizational skills to review daily orders and plan daily work schedule. (Required)
15. Ability to operate independently, exercising good judgement to ensure guest satisfaction. (Required)
16. Must have strong culinary skills, including the ability to prepare the more difficult menu items in a conference kitchen, and a good understanding of culinary terminology. (Required)