The Housing Sustainability Assistant will assist and support the Sustainability Manager with a range of projects and initiatives in Housing & Hospitality Services, focusing on sustainability. The Sustainability Assistant will work with Sustainability and Housing staff members remotely and in the On-Campus Housing Maintenance office.
Duties will include:
• Manage data collection and tracking of key sustainability metrics such as sustainable food purchasing, utility consumption, and waste diversion; Explore improved tracking methods and reporting tools.
• Conduct research on potential new initiatives and opportunities that will contribute to the achievement of campus-wide sustainability goals.
• Support events and programs related to sustainability in Housing, such as Sustainival, Green Gala, and the annual Clothes Out program.
• Assist with campus-wide sustainability efforts, such as the Cool Campus Challenge
• Assist with the training of H&HS staff on relevant sustainability concepts.
• Assist with the implementation of new sustainability programs/initiatives such as the Luskin Conference Center Green Seal certification and the Hill-wide composting program.
• Develop educational materials and sustainability resources for residents and coordinate outreach campaigns.
• Serve as liaison and resource to UCLA campus, students, vendors, outside organizations and UCLA Housing & Hospitality Services staff; providing general information, answering inquiries and promoting sustainability goals.
• Other duties as assigned.
Duties associated with this position will report to the On-Campus Housing Maintenance office in Sproul Hall.
MUST BE A CURRENT UCLA STUDENT. Experience or coursework in energy efficiency, sustainability, environmental impact, accounting, or economics preferred. Strong verbal and written communication skills. Comfortable with interfacing with new people. Ability to work independently. Ability to effectively organize and meet established deadlines. Working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications, including proficiency in Microsoft Excel.