Under the direction of the Management Team, Principal Cook, Senior Cook and/or Cook, is responsible for providing team leadership to one or more Senior Food Service Workers and Food Service Workers. Assign, motivate and monitor the work of others in the production and/or service of one or more food products from a specified menu. Prepare menu items and recipes according to production, culinary and quality standards. Accurately and appropriately utilize all production equipment. Evaluate recipes and submit changes to management. Assign and monitor food production needs to team members and ensure production needs are met. Adhere to all food handling and sanitation guidelines. Provide gracious customer service. Interact with team members and guests in a high volume dining environment.
Working hours vary, includes nights and weekends.
At UCLA Housing & Hospitality Services (H&HS), you become part of UCLA’s tradition of excellence by providing quality housing, dining, and hospitality services to student-residents, faculty, staff, and campus visitors.
We believe there’s more to a job than simply being employed. In addition to competitive salaries and comprehensive benefits and retirement plans, H&HS team members enjoy significant opportunities for professional and personal growth in a supportive work environment.
No matter what your role, you will join more than 2,600+ H&HS team members who understand that our motto Hospitality First! means that a warm, gracious attitude makes a difference in the lives of the people we serve.
AMAZING BENEFITS Starting Day One!
Learn more: https://ucla.in/3IA1uvW
- Ability to read, understand, and speak English sufficient to determine and carry out job duties.
- Skill in interacting effectively with guests and team members and managers in a high volume public contact setting using positive body language, direct eye contact, active listening, problem solving techniques.
- Ability to interact in a team based environment.
- Ability to perform effectively under conditions of fluctuating workload.
- Skill in adding and subtracting whole numbers, decimals and fractions sufficient to properly adhere to production and customer flow parameters.
- Ability to stand, climb, stoop, push and crouch for extended periods of time as required to complete job duties.
- Ability to occasionally lift items weighing up to fifty pounds such as bags of supplies, filled stock pots, cases of food products.
- Ability to stand continuously throughout an eight hour shift on uncarpeted surfaces.
- Ability to measure dry and liquid food stuffs in units of measurement such as cup, pint, quart, pound, and oz to properly adhere to recipe and production requirements.
- Skill in operating equipment such as mixers, food processors, slicers, blenders, impingers, gas range, flat top grill, char broiler, hot wells, deep fat fryers, rotisseries, Rheon machines, woks, sauté pans, steamers, and kettles.
- Knowledge of the rules and procedures of sanitation and safety as they apply to production, storage and service within a food establishment
- Time management and organization skills to review daily production needs and plan daily work schedule.
- Ability to exercise good judgment and provide guests quality customer service.
- Culinary knowledge of food inventory, recipes, menus and production methods, including a good understanding of culinary terminology.
- Previous experience producing and presenting food in a high volume food service environment.
- Ability to lead small teams, 2-5 people, in a collaborative manner, motivating team to complete tasks effectively and efficiently.
- Ability to provide team leadership to one or more Senior Food Service Workers and Food Service Workers.
- Ability to accurately complete and maintain paperwork, including temperature logs and production records.