Working hours vary and include nights, weekends and overtime. Under the general direction Director of Catering Operations and Banquet Managers, provide team leadership and supervision for all aspects of served events. Oversee the successful execution of assigned banquets. Supervise, train, motivate, direct, and evaluate two full-time employees and several student employees. Marshal and deploy resources such as personnel, china, linen and trucks in an efficient and cost-effective manner. Maintain a high level of customer service for all events. Adhere to all food handling and sanitation guidelines. Follow established timelines for service of food product. Interact with team members and clients in a high-volume catering environment. Assist with product inventory as needed. In addition, the Banquet Captain will support the bar manager in the service of alcoholic beverages.
Must be available to work varying schedules; including evenings, weekends, holidays and over time in order to reflect the business needs of the department.
The target salary range for this position is between the posted minimum and $25 hourly.
AMAZING BENEFITS Starting Day One!
Learn more: https://ucla.in/3IA1uvW
- Skill in working in organizing and monitoring assignments to complete work in a timely manner when there are interruptions, changing priorities, changes in workload, conflicting deadlines, and competing requirements.
- Skill in working independently and following through on assignments with minimal direction.
- Ability to work during overtime, swing shifts and weekends to supervise staffs and/or solves operational problems.
- Skill in controlling costs and inventory, including food, labor, non-food supplies, inventory and other items related to the operation of a catering department.
- Working knowledge of safety and sanitation rules and procedures as they relate to a food production area.
- Ability to conduct on-site inspections of units for quality control and maintenance needs. These inspections involve walking, standing, climbing (e.g. stairs and ladders), stooping, and crouching.
- Demonstrated skill in supervision of staff including delegating work to accomplish goals efficiently and effectively while motivating individuals to work together as a team.
- Ability to stand continuously throughout an eight-hour shift on uncarpeted surfaces.
- Skill in interacting and communicating effectively with guests, team members, managers and vendors one-on-one and in a group setting.
- Ability to interact in a team based environment.
- Ability to occasionally lift items to waist level weighing up to 50 pounds and to stand, climb, stoop, push, pull, and crouch as required to complete job duties.
- Ability to read, understand and speak English sufficient to determine and carry out job duties.
- Ability to perform effectively under conditions of fluctuating workload.
- Skill in writing concise, logical, and grammatically correct English to prepare written plans, procedures, employee performance evaluation and reports.
- Ability to effectively and efficiently use a personal computer, utilizing software such as Word, Excel, email, food production software, and other applicable systems.
- Ability to mediate between contending parties and affect a successful resolution of differences using appropriate conflict management techniques.
- Skill in operating equipment such as radio communication devices, flight-type dishwashing machines, ¾ or Class C vehicles, kitchen small wares and hydraulic lifts.
- Must be 21 years of age or older.
- Knowledge of various catering service styles, such as French, Continental, Buffet, BBQ, etc.
- TIPS certification preferred.
- Possess knowledge of a variety of wines, spirits, and beers.
Can be trained
- Working knowledge of payroll and personnel procedures.