The Bartender prepares and serves alcoholic beverages for bar patrons and guests, makes recommendations and answers questions regarding beverages and other menu items, and provides professional customer service to guests and vendors. In addition, the Bartender accepts guest payment and carries out special service requests. Incumbent must be familiar with a variety of wines, spirits, beers, and daily menu items, as well as be proficient in the art of making specialty cocktails with a thorough understanding of the ingredients and processes involved. Incumbent must listen to the requests made by guests, offering solutions or recommendations tailored to their needs. The Bartender must also communicate and work with all support staff to ensure bar is properly stocked and prepared for operations and inventory is maintained at established par levels.
Incumbent must be TIPS certified with Bartending training/certification, able to work in a fast-paced environment, and able to work nights, weekends and some holidays.
Please note, UCLA is a non-tipping environment.
- Professional bartender training and/or certificate.
- Minimum of two years of customer-service experience.
- Expert knowledge of wines, spirits, beer and garnishes.
- Demonstrated skill in using blenders, mixers, muddlers, corkscrews, bottle openers, and other basic bartender hand tools.
- Working knowledge of the rules and procedures of sanitation and safety as they apply to production, storage and service within a bar and lounge setting.
- Demonstrated ability to use basic math skills to perform job duties.
- Demonstrated experience in cash handling and working with a point of sale system (POS).
- Ability to read, understand, and speak English sufficiently to converse on a one-on-one basis using appropriate vocabulary and grammar to carry out job duties.
- Skill in interacting effectively with guests, team members and management in a high-volume, public setting.
- Ability to interact courteously and professionally with diverse groups of guests and colleagues.
- Ability to interact in a team based environment.
- Ability to perform well under conditions of a fluctuating work load.
- Ability to stand, climb, stoop, push and crouch for extended periods of time as required to complete job duties.
- Ability to stand continuously throughout an eight hour shift on uncarpeted surfaces.
- Ability to occasionally lift items weighing up to fifty pounds such as boxes of supplies, glassware, etc. Ability to frequently lift items above shoulder weighing up to thirty pounds such as dishes weighted down significantly with food and trays with glasses and dishes.
- Expert knowledge of correct serving practices and industry standards.
- Must be 21 years of age or older.
- Must be TIPS certified.
- Available to work varying schedules; including evenings, weekends, holidays and over time in order to reflect the business needs of the department.
- One year of experience in a hotel environment.