Executive Sous Chef (Lake Arrowhead Conference Center)
Under the direction of the Executive Chef, the incumbent is responsible for providing team leadership and directing production, support, and/or service of multiple food products from a specified menu to guests and other departments. Prepares the most complex menu items and recipes according to production and quality standards. Assign and monitor food production needs to team members and ensure production needs are met. Adheres to all food handling and sanitation guidelines. Follows established timelines for food production as required by customer flow. Prepares meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner) for approximately 30,000 guests during the conference & Leisure guest season, and4,000 guests during our BRUIN WOODS season. Assist management with recipe and menu development. Assist in the ordering of inventory and inventory control.
The position will be working from UCLA Lake Arrowhead Lodge which is located about 90 miles east of the UCLA campus in the San Bernardino Mountains (https://lakearrowheadlodge.com/about/directions/).
The budgeted hiring salary/target range for this position is the posted minimum to $6,666.67 monthly, with salary placement based on skills, knowledge, and experience.
- Ability to read, understand, and speak English sufficient to determine and carry out job duties.
- Skill in interacting effectively with guests and team members and managers in a high-volume public contact setting using positive body language, direct eye contact, active listening, problem solving techniques.
- Ability to interact in a team-based environment.
- Ability to perform effectively under conditions of fluctuating workload.
- Skill in adding and subtracting whole numbers, decimals and fractions sufficient to properly adhere to production and customer flow parameters.
- Ability to stand, climb, stoop, push and crouch for extended periods of time as required to complete job duties.
- Ability to occasionally lift items weighing up to fifty pounds such as bags of supplies, filled stock pots, cases of food products.
- Ability to stand continuously throughout an eight hour shift on uncarpeted surfaces.
- Ability to measure dry and liquid food stuffs in units of measurement such as cup, pints, quart, pound, and ounces to properly adhere to recipe and production requirements.
- Skill in operating equipment such as mixers, food processors, food cutters, meat slicers, blenders, Combo Ovens, gas range, flat top grill, char-broiler, hot wells, deep fat fryers, radio communication devices.
- Knowledge of the rules and procedures of sanitation and safety as they apply to production, storage and service within a food establishment.
- Time management and organizational skills to review daily production needs and plan daily work schedule.
- Ability to exercise good judgement and provide guests quality customer service.
- Must have strong culinary skills and a good understanding of culinary terminology.
- Ability to produce and present food in a high volume restaurant environment.
- Ability to supervise up to 10 employees; assign, monitor and lead in a high volume production setting.
- Culinary school training.