Facilities Mechanic - Crafts
Perform routine and semi-skilled tasks related to the plumbing trade in the maintenance, alteration and repair of building systems and related facilities equipment for properties managed by UCLA Housing & Hospitality Services. Under the direction of the Department Manager and the Supervisor/Lead, run the sewer jet to machine clean sewer storm drains, clean out sediment traps in waste system, and appropriately use and maintain sewer jet equipment. Install and maintain piping systems and fixtures as instructed. Perform various other routine or semi-skilled duties related to construction trades including those tasks normally performed by a Facilities Mechanic. Responsible for contacting supervisor for resources required on job, monitoring job progress, and for communicating job-related situations to the area supervisor and /or resolve on-site job problems. Works independently or as part of a maintenance team. Identify and select the proper materials and tools for a particular job. Recognize malfunctions and make necessary repairs and adjustments on tools and equipment. Use prescribed safety measures and equipment. Interact with various department contacts and University personnel while performing duties and expected to maintain a courteous and professional manner at all times. Complete other duties as assigned.
- General knowledge of plumbing trade.
- Ability to operate a sewer jetter following established procedures and safety practices.
- Working knowledge of various tools, equipment and supplies of the Plumber’s trade.
- Demonstrated skills in plumbing and maintenance sufficient to independently assess, evaluate, define, obtain, and affect repair.
- Ability to make minor repairs, replacements, or installations using a variety of trade skills and equipment/tools.
- Demonstrated ability to establish work priorities in accordance with established guidelines.
- Demonstrated ability to read, write, and speak English sufficient to complete work orders. Ability to follow written and oral instructions and/or directions.
- Ability to read blueprints.
- Ability to perform basic arithmetic calculations.
- Working knowledge of security requirements necessary to protect residents’ belongings and privacy in accordance with Landlord-Resident guidelines.
- Must have and maintain a valid California Driver’s License in order to drive a University vehicle and travel to other off/on-campus locations on a regular basis.
- Working knowledge of standard safe work practices.
- Ability to frequently lift items weighing up to 50 lbs to waist high level when loading/unloading mechanical equipment for repair.
- Ability to order supplies and repair materials from established material supplies/inventory.
- Ability to stand, climb, stoop, push, pull, and crouch for extended periods of time as required to complete job assignments.
- Ability to work under adverse conditions such as humid weather and in fluctuating and/or extreme temperatures and dirty/noisy conditions.
- Ability to maintain good attendance.
- Ability to arrive to work reliably and on time.
- Ability to work overtime and weekends.
- Ability to initiate and maintain cooperative relationships with co-workers, managers and supervisors, customers/clients, and members of the public.
- Interpersonal skills to work effectively with students, residents, guests and campus personnel in all matters relating to plumbing and maintenance.
- Ability to work harmoniously and cooperatively as a team player.
- Capable of distinguishing different colors.
- Ability to operate a drain line video camera and a pipe depth locator highly preferred.