Quality & Safety Assurance Manager
The Quality and Safety Assurance (QSA) Manager helps drive company values and Hospitality First! philosophy and ensures workplace safety, process improvements, and operational standards are met and strategically linked to organization’s brand standards, mission, and vision. Responsible for the development and management of initiatives and programs to prevent and reduce workplace injuries and strengthen departmental safety culture by assessing and improving operational processes and providing relevant training in an effort to create a more secure workplace environment. The incumbent conducts risk assessments and accident investigations to identify and mitigate community hazards to eliminate liability exposure. Manager also acts as primary liaison for UCLA H&H with UCLA EH&S.
QSA Manager implements and upholds quality assurance measures and leads process improvement efforts including coordination of internal quality assurance audits, reviewing general policies and procedures, standard operating procedures (SOPs), training curricula, guest surveys, incident reports, and other crucial content related to process improvement for the H&H organization. Manages Standard Operating Procedures program including working with units to document SOP’s and ensuring that documentation is recorded in online platform. Works with property leadership teams to identify and address team members training needs and enable the achievement of fully compliant status in safety records and desired business results. Measures the effectiveness of programs, tracks progress, performs quality control functions, and assures that training and performance align with standard operating procedures and organizational service philosophy.
The Housing Safety Manager works independently under the supervision of the Assistant Director of Organizational Performance and collaborates with Assistant Director of Housing Safety and Emergency Preparedness as a team with the other H&H managers and staff under established divisional policies and guidelines.
UCLA Housing & Hospitality (H&H) operates all on- and off- campus university-owned housing complexes incorporating almost 10 million gross square feet, generating approximately $240M in annual revenues. In addition. H&HS is responsible for UCLA Guest House, UCLA Conference Center and Bruin Woods Family Resort at Lake Arrowhead, the newly opened 254-room UCLA Meyer and Renee Luskin Conference Center, UCLA Dining Services, UCLA Vending Services, UCLA Catering, and other supporting departments such as H&HS IT, Housing Services, etc. The Quality Assurance & Program Assessment Manager administers all process improvement and hospitality training functions for H&HS properties including conducting quality assurance audits, needs assessments, creating and adapting course content, conducting customized training sessions and workshops, planning and implementing corporate and hotel training initiatives, measuring training effectiveness and ensuring on-the-job application of job skills, guest service, leadership, and department- specific training initiatives. Objectively evaluate and report findings through consistent application of quality standards and make recommendations to senior leadership team on opportunities to increase performance.
- BA Degree with a focus in workforce education, occupational safety, hospitality, communications, human resources, education or organizational development, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum of three years of prior experience in delivering workplace training.
- Working knowledge of occupational safety and health gained from a college level educational background or equivalent work experience and have the ability to apply this understanding to the tasks of accident prevention, risk management and hazard recognition.
- Working knowledge of federal, state and local health and safety codes to access, and provide accurate information to departments.
- Skill in analyzing operating procedures and data to recommend necessary changes or trends consistent with accepted analytical practices.
- Ability to set goals and priorities, which accurately reflect the relative importance of job responsibilities, when faced with fluctuating workloads, pressure of deadlines and competing requirements.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff, coworkers, and other University personnel and interact diplomatically with a diversified public.
- Skill in conducting process assessments, job-aid analysis, complex analysis, investigated interviews, root-cause analysis, focus-groups, and process mapping.
- Ability to analyze complex technical data and make recommendations based on the data.
- Proven ability to evaluate business operations and to identify opportunities for optimizing organizational excellence?improve performance, increase process efficiency/effectiveness, reduce costs, or enhance the customer experience
- Skill in performing a variety of duties, often changing from one task to another of a different nature.
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously. Ability to work in a fast-paced environment to meet project deadlines and periods.
- Ability to wear personal protective equipment.
- Demonstrated working experience with database programs, spreadsheets, word processing, e-mail, and calendar.
- Demonstrated ability to think critically and provide strategic insight and analysis to solve problems and make improvements.
- Extensive process and project management skills with the exceptional capacity to influence senior leaders and achieve results in a consensus-driven organization
- Ability to interact with leadership in the organization to provide consultative support with training needs.
- Ability to maintain a standardized process for employee training/orientation at all levels along and develop checks and balances to ensure the process is carried out.
- Demonstrated ability to appropriately handle confidential and sensitive information and/or documents.
- Highly responsible, sound professional judgement, and strong time management skills required; ability to maintain confidentiality and discern priorities.
- Advanced skill in writing in order to produce professional, clear and compelling presentations, analysis reports, job aids, and routine business correspondence; and the ability to evaluate and edit any of these for content, style, and format.
- Ability to develop, build, and foster positive working relationships and work as part of a team to collaborate successfully with colleagues and create a stimulating and accepting learning environment.
- Skill in organizing material, information and people in systematic ways to accomplish team goals.
- Knowledge and experience using a variety of organizational and individual aptitude, skill and competency assessment techniques.
- Ability to analyze feedback from classes and incorporate changes to ensure continuous improvement.
- Advanced skills in using Microsoft Office Suite including Outlook, Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- Ability to drive a University vehicle to off-site locations.
- Ability to design programs and deliver them in Spanish.
- Previous working experience working in the hospitality service.
- Working knowledge of operational effectiveness principles such as Lean/Six Sigma.
- Board of Certified Safety Professional, Associate Safety Professional (ASP) or Certified Safety Professional (CSP) Certification