Under the direction of the Restaurant Management Team, the Restaurant Host is responsible for maintaining guest services for the restaurant lounge and bar at Plateia Restaurant. Incumbent ensures all guests are greeted, promptly seated, and served in a professional, courteous, and timely manner. Monitors the open and seated sections of the restaurant, bar and lounge, estimates wait times for guests, answers the telephone, and takes reservations as needed. Keeps the kitchen and appropriate managers aware of large groups of guests and keeps track of the reservation and occupancy chart as needed. Informs the Restaurant Manager and Executive Chef of any issues, concerns, large groups, complaints or feedback from guests. Serves as the first contact with restaurant guests, encouraging return visits and providing exemplary customer service. Interacts with team members and guests in a high-volume dining environment. Execute other functions and responsibilities as assigned by management.
Must be available to work varying schedules; including evenings, weekends, holidays and over time in order to reflect the business needs of the department.
Please note, UCLA is a non-tipping environment.
- At least one year of experience as host or cashier in a full service restaurant.
- Ability to read, understand and speak English sufficient to determine and carry out job duties.
- Skill in writing concise, logical and grammatically correct English.
- Ability to communicate effectively on a one-on-one basis and in small group settings with team members, peers and guests.
- Skill in working in organizing and monitoring assignments to complete work in a timely manner when there are interruptions, changing priorities, changes in workload, pressures of deadlines, and competing priorities.
- Skill in working independently and following through on assignments with minimal direction.
- Interpersonal skills sufficient to interact effectively and tactfully with diverse department and University personnel and with the public.
- Ability to perform effectively under conditions of a fluctuating workload, including working overtime, swing shifts and weekends.
- Skill in interacting effectively with guests and team members and managers in a high-volume public setting using positive body language, direct eye contact, active listening and problem solving techniques.
- Ability to stand, climb, stoop, push, and crouch for extended periods of time as required to complete job duties; Able to stand continuously throughout an eight-hour shift on uncarpeted surfaces.
- Mathematical skills sufficient to perform basic arithmetic calculations.
- Ability to work on a personal computer, utilizing software such as Microsoft Office Suite, food production management software, and other applicable systems.
- Ability to utilize and manage the online reservations system and point of sale (POS) system.
- Must be available to work varying schedules; including evenings, weekends, holidays and over time in order to reflect the business needs of the department.
- Ability to lift items weighing up to fifty pounds such as trays of food, dishes, etc.