Training & Organizational Development Manager
The Training and Organizational Development (TOD) Manager for Housing and Hospitality (H&H) is responsible for leading and facilitating H&H’s development and training programs. This position conducts needs assessment analyses to identify training and development gaps, develops recommendations, and implements solutions. The TOD Manager oversees all centrally-coordinated training efforts, including compliance training, guest service essentials, career development, mentoring program, new team member onboarding, leadership coaching, volunteering and wellness events, and language and job skills development. The TOD Manager creates content, designs, and delivers customized training solutions for H&H units, consisting of 10 distinct areas and over 1,700 FTE. Works collaboratively to support and lead the planning of the Work Environment Survey and other organizational development initiatives. Develops appropriate metrics and tracking systems for all training and development effort in order to evaluate programs for effectiveness and process improvement.
UCLA Housing & Hospitality (H&H) operates all on- and off- campus university-owned housing complexes incorporating almost 10 million gross square feet, generating approximately $240M in annual revenues. In addition. H&H is responsible for UCLA Guest House, UCLA Lake Arrowhead Lodge, the newly opened 254-room UCLA Meyer and Renee Luskin Conference Center, UCLA Dining Services, UCLA Vending Services, UCLA Catering, and other supporting departments such as H&H IT, Housing Services, etc. The Quality Assurance & Program Assessment Manager administers all process improvement and hospitality training functions for H&H properties including conducting quality assurance audits, needs assessments, creating and adapting course content, conducting customized training sessions and workshops, planning and implementing corporate and hotel training initiatives, measuring training effectiveness and ensuring on-the-job application of job skills, guest service, leadership, and department- specific training initiatives. Objectively evaluate and report findings through consistent application of quality standards and make recommendations to the senior leadership team on opportunities to increase performance.
- BA Degree with a focus in hospitality, communications, human resources, education or organizational development, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum of three years of prior experience in delivering workplace training.
- Demonstrated a strong ability to think critically and provide strategic insight and evident-based solutions.
- Strong influencing skills and the capability to collaborate with stakeholders at every level.
- Strong interpersonal and presentation skills with the ability to communicate succinctly and effectively across all levels of the organization.
- Results-based, cooperation-building leadership style with exceptional verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to compose analysis reports and recommendations for all levels of the organization
- Proven ability to evaluate business operations and to identify opportunities for optimizing organizational excellence?improve performance, increase process efficiency/effectiveness, reduce costs, or enhance the customer experience
- Established skills in leadership, facilitation, negotiation, consensus building, directed creativity, organization, prioritization, time management, team building, project management, and conflict identification and resolution.
- Working knowledge and experience with adult learning theory and workplace training, with the ability to select appropriate methods for training.
- Skill and experience in planning, creating, and presenting training workshops in various skill areas in a clear, persuasive, and audience-appropriate manner.
- Working experience in interacting with senior leaders in the organization to provide consultative support with training needs.
- Ability to establish and implement short- and long-range departmental goals, objectives, policies, and operating procedures.
- Ability to maintain a standardized process for employee training/orientation at all levels along and develop checks and balances to ensure the process is carried out.
- Advanced skills in communicating, listening perceptively, and interacting sensitively and diplomatically with people from various social, cultural, educational, and economic backgrounds to convey awareness and understanding.
- Knowledge and experience with multi-cultural and diversity issues that impact the work environment. Able to address such issues in a productive manner with colleagues throughout the organization.
- Demonstrated ability to appropriately handle confidential and sensitive information and/or documents.
- Ability to apply political acumen to coordinate and facilitate meetings, lead discussions, and organize processes.
- Advanced writing skill to produce professional, clear, and compelling proposals, training presentations and job aids, and routine business correspondence; and the ability to evaluate and edit any of these for content, style, and format.
- Ability to develop, build and foster positive working relationships and work as part of a team to collaborate successfully with colleagues and create a stimulating and accepting learning environment.
- Skill in organizing material, information, and people in systematic ways to accomplish team goals.
- Working knowledge and experience using a variety of organizational and individual aptitude, skill, and competency assessment techniques.
- Working knowledge of analyzing feedback from classes and incorporating changes to ensure continuous improvement.
- Advanced ability to initiate activities independently and organize, prioritize and complete work in a timely manner despite deadlines and competing requests.
- Extensive experience and high skill level using Microsoft Office Suite including Outlook, Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
- Previous work experience working in the hospitality industry.
- Significant experience with operational effectiveness principles such as lean/six sigma.
- Ability to design programs and deliver them in Spanish.
- Previous work experience in people management and leading team projects