UA Senior Custodian
Under the direct supervision of the Custodial Supervisor, perform various housekeeping duties within University Apartments. Sweep and mop floors, collect and dispose trash and recyclable items, clean restrooms and re-stock supplies, dust and wax furniture, vacuum and shampoo carpet, wash walls and clean Venetian blinds, perform floor restoration, strip and wax, and polish brass, chrome and other metal fixtures in restroom, offices and apartment units.
Operate trash compactor, street sweeper, carpet extractors, and floor machines. Provide customer service to residents’ inquiries. Ensure that all entry doors and inside office doors are secure.
Report suspect individuals or circumstances to campus police or to immediate supervisor. Complete other duties as assigned.
- Ability to sweep, mop and pick up trash in apartments, stairwells, and common areas, utilizing a rolling hand-cart, and lift and carry custodial supplies and equipment weighing approximately 50 lbs for a distance of approximately 30 feet.
- Ability to work independently and complete assigned duties inside and outside apartments with minimal supervision, consistent with University and UA policies and procedures.
- Skill in using English words and phrases to complete work orders and understand simple oral instructions to complete work assignments and to communicate with others.
- Ability to read words and phrases in English on all custodial chemicals and equipment to include solvents and floor applications, etc.
- Ability to work flexibly, often rotating assignments among UA complexes, departments, and common areas.
- Ability to operate floor machines and high-speed burnishers to include sanding machine, shellac applicator and buffing machine.
- Ability to operate trash compactor, street sweeper, and carpet extractors.
- Ability to lift and move furniture and appliances from departments to storage areas or trash dumpsters, often up and down stairs.
- Must have and maintain a valid California Driver’s License in order to drive a custodial van, maintenance pick-up truck, or electric cart and travel to/from other off/on-campus locations on a regular basis.
- Ability to climb ladder, bend, stoop or crawl as necessary to accomplish custodial duties.
- Demonstrated ability to read, write, and speak English.
- Ability to arrive to work reliably and on time.
- Ability to initiate and maintain cooperative relationships with co-workers, manager, supervisors, customers/clients, and members of the public.
- Ability to work harmoniously and cooperatively as a team player.
- Ability to follow written and oral instructions and/or directions.