Frequently Asked Questions

UCLA Dining food service workers at FEAST at Rieber

UCLA Dining food service workers at FEAST at Rieber

Beginning the Application Process

Return to Top
Q: Where do I begin? A: Use your Internet browser to access the UCLA Career Opportunities web page. You can search for positions based on your interests, background, or career level. To apply, applicants are required to create a confidential online account. This account will manage your application and provide the status of all positions for which you have applied. To begin the application process, go to the UCLA Career Opportunities website and select a user name and password that you will easily remember. You will need to use your user name and password to apply for other positions or check the status of your application.   Q: What information will I be asked to provide? A: Applicants will provide typical application information such as name, address, phone numbers, work experience, dates of employment, etc. You will also be asked to provide information about your education and previous employment. Gather this information before beginning the application process. Your application should fully describe your education, training, and work experience. Ensure that all sections of the application are completed. Some postings may ask for formal cover letters, references, and salary history. Please check and complete the required documents section of the application before you submit your application. It is very important that you provide detailed information about your qualifications so we can best evaluate your application.   Q: What are the definitions of the different types of jobs? A: Please refer to the following definitions:
  • Career Appointments are considered “regular” employment. They are defined as 50% or more of full-time for one year or longer.
  • Contract Appointments are considered “temporary” employment. They have a definite time period, for example, 6-month or 1-year contract. Terms and conditions are specified in a written employment contract.
  • Limited Appointments are considered “temporary” employment. Individuals in this appointment are expected to be on pay status for less than 1,000 hours in a 12-month period.
  • Partial Year Career Appointments are considered “regular” employment. Individuals in this appointment have regularly scheduled periods not to exceed three months per year, for example, furlough.
  Q: Are positions at UCLA Housing & Hospitality Services covered by unions and what are the fees associated with being part of a union? A: Some positions on the UCLA campus are covered by a collective bargaining agreement. Each job posting lets you know if it is a covered position or not. Employees in positions that are covered may be required to pay an Agency Fee to their exclusive representative union. Agency fees vary from union to union.   Q: What does the term “required qualifications” mean? A: Required qualifications are the basic knowledge, skills, education, and experience necessary to be considered for the position as defined in the specific job classification.   Q: What does the term “Internal Only” mean? A: Under certain circumstances, a hiring unit may limit the scope of recruitment to current and former campus employees. In this case, the job posting will specify “Internal Only” and applications will be limited to those individuals.   Q: Do I have to fill out an application? A: Yes. You are required to create an application to apply for positions. Any required information is denoted with an asterisk (*). However, the more information you provide, the easier it will be to effectively evaluate your qualifications.   Q: Can I view job openings without logging in? A:Yes. Job seekers may browse job openings on the UCLA Career Opportunities website without being logged in.   Q: Can I submit a resume and/or cover letter? A: Yes. During the application process, you will have the opportunity to submit your resume and/or cover letter to the hiring department. There will be directions prompting you on how and when to attach your documents.   Q: Can I attach a different resume for each position for which I apply? A: Yes, if a resume/cover letter is requested, you may attach a unique resume and/or cover letter for every position for which you apply.   Q: Do I have to fill out the “Work Experience” and “Education” pages if I plan on attaching my resume? A: None of these pages are required. However, it is beneficial to complete these pages as some hiring departments review candidates based on a review of applications.   Q: Can I apply via email? A: No. Please click the application link for each posting and follow the application procedure from there to submit your resume and cover letter.   Q: I am not a U.S. citizen. What type of visa do I need in order to work at UCLA as a student? A: For information regarding appropriate visa/status options, contact UCLA’s Office of International Students and Scholars.

After Submitting Your Application

Return to Top
Q: How can I be sure that my electronic application was received? A: Upon successful submission of your application, you will see a confirmation message indicating that the application has been received. You will receive a confirmation email to the email address on file for your application. Keep this page for future reference.   Q: I applied weeks ago but haven’t heard anything from the hiring department. What should I do? A: You may check the status of your application at any time by logging into the UCLA Careers Opportunities website with your user name and password. From the left navigation bar, choose “Application Status.” There you can view your application materials and the status of each position.   Q: How are job interviews arranged? A: A representative from the hiring department will contact you directly via phone, email or letter if you have been selected for an interview.   Q: When/how can I make changes to my application? A: Changes can be made to your general application at any time. Any changes you make to your profile will be reflected for any new position for which you apply in the future. However, once you have submitted an application to a particular position, you will not be able to make edits or changes to that application, so please make sure to review your documents prior to applying for a position.   Q: Under what circumstances should I make changes to my application? A: Any time your contact information changes (address, phone number, email address, etc.), you will need to edit your application to reflect the change. Another reason that you may wish to edit your application is if you have acquired additional skills, experience and education since you created your original application.   Q: Are background checks performed for all new employees A: Criminal background checks are conducted for ALL positions at UCLA Administration.   Q: Does UCLA administer drug testing? A: Some positions require drug testing, a pre-employment physical or both prior to hire. If drug testing or a pre-employment physical is required, it will be stated in the job posting.   Q: What is a DMV pull? A: Some positions require a valid California driver’s license and will be subject to the California DMV’s “Pull Notice System.” Continued employment is contingent upon proof of a satisfactory driving record.   Q: Does UCLA administer a reading aptitude test? A: Yes, some positions require a CASAS (Comprehensive Adult Student Assessment Systems) test prior to employment. If a CASAS test or other pre-employment tests are required, it will be stated in the job posting.   Q: What if I need an accommodation to apply for a position? A: UCLA will provide reasonable accommodations for applicants who request an accommodation and are able to perform the essential functions of the job. Please contact our Campus Human Resources office for assistance at (310) 794-0890 or visit   Q: How often are new jobs posted? A: New jobs may be posted on a daily basis. You are encouraged to check the Career Opportunities website often.   Q: How long does my application remain active in the system? A: Your application will remain active in the system for a period of three years. We will keep your application accessible in the system even if you no longer wish to apply for positions. If you decide in the future you would like to apply for positions once again, your application information will be saved in the system, ready for you to use or to update it as necessary.   Q: How do I withdraw my application? A: To remove your application from consideration for a position, click on the “Withdraw Application” link in the status field for that position. If you withdraw your application, you will not be able to apply for the same position again.

Troubleshooting the Application Process

Return to Top
Q: What if I do not have access to a computer to complete an application? A: There are a number of convenient ways you can access the UCLA Career Opportunities website:
  • UCLA Housing & Hospitality Services – Human Resources & Payroll Center, Administration – North – 360 De Neve Drive, Ste. 162
  • UCLA Employment Services & Workforce Planning Office – 10920 Wilshire Blvd., Ste 205. Staff members are available to assist applicants weekdays, 9 a.m. – 4 p.m.
  • UCLA Libraries – Powell Library, Young Research Library
  • Local Public Libraries – Los Angeles Public Library, L.A. County Libraries
  Q: What if I forgot my password? A: After choosing “Login” from the navigation bar on the left, click on the “I forgot my password” link in the login dialog box. After correctly responding to your security question, your password will be reset to your user name and you will be required to change it upon logging in the first time.   Q: What if I forgot my user name? A: Contact Employment Services at mycareer [at] for assistance. Do not use this email address for other types of communication with UCLA Employment Services.   Q: My resume was created on a Mac, what do I need to do? A: Files that are submitted with an application are automatically converted to Adobe PDF. Most documents will retain their original formatting when uploaded. An alternative is to copy and paste the text of the document into the area provided.   My resume is on paper and I don’t have a scanner. How can I submit it using your online system? A: Local copy services such as Kinko’s can scan and load your document onto a CD or to a USB flash drive. You can use this electronic version on any computer with a browser and Internet access to apply.   Q: Do I need an email address to use the online application process? A: No, you do not need an email address. However, not providing it may cause a delay or make it more difficult for us to communicate with you. Free email accounts are available from major web-service providers such as Yahoo! (Yahoo! Mail), Microsoft (Windows Live Mail) or Google (Gmail).   Q: I still have questions about career opportunities at UCLA Housing & Hospitality Services. Who should I contact? A: Staff members are available to answer employment-related questions to prospective applicants. You may contact our Talent Aquisition Manager at hospitalityjobs [at] or (310) 825-5951.